The Stranger

She was getting engaged, and all I could do was stand by and applaud along with the rest. I did not dare to open my mouth for the fear of saying something stupid, something like 'I LOVE YOU'.

I remember the other day when she had come to me with red eyes. Her 'best friend' was going away. It had never mattered to me that her best friend was a guy. I thought I was above such things... but her tears awoke the sin of jealousy in my heart. Fighting it, I had consoled her and given her chocolates to eat. She proceeded to rest her head in the crook of my arm, and promptly fell asleep. I chuckled at her baby-like innocence.
But now, as I applauded, I felt something stabbing at my heart.

She was getting married.
I saw her come down the stairs decked out in her bridal finery. Never had I seen her looking this pretty. I saw her taking the seven rounds around the sacred fire with the man I had come to hate earlier; holding his hand. I saw her exchanging garlands with him. She was a stranger to me now.

As I stood near the car, they both came over to me. I wondered what they wanted. I wondered how to say Farewell to the departed. Nevertheless, I blessed them. She was openly crying. I told her not to worry, that I'll always be there for her. She responded by hugging me and said "I love you dad" ...

... And I could not stop the tears in my eyes any more.

No comments: